CALEB CARR-LEVALLEY HOUSE 1722

CALEB CARR-LEVALLEY HOUSE 1722 Carr-Levalley House Carr-Levalley Plaque

CARR-LEVALLEY HOUSE (c. 1722)


A one and one-half story Colonial farmhouse with an asymmetrical gambrel roof, a small brick chimney, and a long, one-story later ell at the left side, with a tall brick chimney. There is a clapboard-sided barn behind the house, which is set back from the road. Caleb Carr, a Colonial governor who died in 1695, once owned the property. Sarah Carr, granddaughter of Caleb, acquired the property. She married the Reverend George Pigot, rector of King's Church (later St. John's Episcopal Church) in Providence from 1723-27, and they lived here. In 1727, Reverend Pigot traded this property with Peter Levalley, a resident of Marblehead, Massachusetts. Levalley, reportedly a Huguenot descendant and former sea captain, resided here until his death in 1820, working part of his extensive farm, which he added to through inheritance and purchase.
Taken from Historic and Architectural Resources of West Warwick, Rhode Island: A Preliminary Report. By the RI Historical Preservation Commission. Page 96 copyright 1987

Page 5: The Carr-Levalley House at 42 Fairview Avenue is probably the oldest structure remaining in West Warwick; it was built by a descendant of Caleb Carr, at one time governor of Rhode Island, but early in its life it passed into the hands of the Levalley family. A small house, only one and one-half stories, the Carr-Levalley House exhibits the center chimney and gambrel roof characteristic of early eighteenth-century houses.
Taken from Historic and Architectural Resources of West Warwick, Rhode Island: A Preliminary Report. By the RI Historical Preservation Commission. Page 5 copyright 1987

THE PRESENTATION OF THE HISTORICAL PLAQUE Presentation of plaque Al Hanging the plaque

Back to Plaque Pages
Back to Opening page
Home Page
PVHistory@yahoo.com